The Tsoknyi Nepal Nuns
The Tsoknyi Nepal Nuns is an international organization under the guidance of Tsoknyi Rinpoche that supports a growing number of Tibetan Buddhist nuns in the Tsoknyi Lineage. Their immediate goal is to fund the building of Tsoknyi Gechak Ling Nunnery on Chobar Hill outside of Kathmandu, Nepal. This is an amazing opportunity for you to support these great practitioners and to preserve this wellspring of goodness in the world.
“Building nunneries is a support for holy beings.”
~ Tsoknyi Rinpoche
The Vision of Tsoknyi Rinpoche
A pioneering vision to train nuns to become among the most accomplished Buddhist practitioners and Dharma teachers in the world
The International Friends of the Tsoknyi Nepal Nuns was formed to raise funds for a Tibetan Buddhist nunnery in Nepal. Our mission is to make it possible for nuns in Nepal who practice in the Tsoknyi lineage to live in a safe, healthy environment in order to study and practice the highest Buddhist meditation and philosophy. This organization supports Tsoknyi Rinpoche’s aspiration that these nuns will become accomplished teachers and that they will inspire people from all over the world.
The Tsoknyi Nepal Nuns’ Goals
- Build an integrated educational center and nunnery to include a Nun’s Shedra and Residence, Primary School, Three Year Retreat Center, International Retreat Center, Kitchen/Dining Hall and Shrine Hall.
- Continue the lineage of the first Tsoknyi Rinpoche by providing the same monastic training for women that has been reserved for men.
- Extend into Nepal the training and traditions of the nuns who have long practiced the Tsoknyi lineage in Nangchen, Tibet.
- Provide younger nuns with a certified primary school education and the opportunity to progress to attending Shedra and Three Year Retreat.
- Ensure that young women who choose to return to their villages will have knowledge of health, hygiene and cultural issues effecting women.
We are now in the process of establishing a new home for these nuns in Nepal, providing a safe environment, good education and spiritual guidance. It is my vision that these nuns will continue to flourish in the future. As a source of inspiration to women and men all over the world, their inner qualities will radiate loving-kindness everywhere. The nuns pray continuously for all beings, and perform special prayers and pujas when requested.
I am investing a lot of my own time, energy and resources supporting these nuns, because I see great value in their way of life and what they represent in the modern world. They are a cultural and spiritual treasure, and I hope you will join me in preserving their heritage.
With deep love and respect,
~ Tsoknyi Rinpoche
The Tsoknyi Nepal Nuns was Dharma Eye’s Featured Organization of the Month in June and October 2014.
It will be our Featured Cause next in October 2015.